Understand Dementia and Dementia Care In India
Dementia is a disease which is either chronic or progressive in nature. It affects your brain functioning, thinking capacity and the ability to perform the day to day activity. The symptoms start slowly and gradually it gets worsen, hence dementia treatment must be started at the earlier stages. It is very important that it should get diagnosed at the earlier stages. It mainly affects the older people. Dementia care in India can help to lower the symptoms of this disease.
What Are The Causes Of Dementia?
Dementia is mainly caused by the dead brain cells, but it is not the only reason which causes Dementia. It can also be caused due to a head injury, a stroke which prevents the normal blood flow. Prion diseases, HIV infection (virus damages the brain cells) and the other reversible factors like depression, thyroid abnormalities, medication side effects, excess use of alcohol and vitamin deficiencies, etc.
How To Find the Symptoms of Dementia In Someone?
Following are the symptoms that help you to identify someone, who is suffering from dementia disease. It is important for you to identify those signals at the earliest so that dementia care treatment in India can help to reduce the symptoms.
• People Suffering from dementia doesn’t cope well with the changes and they find it difficult to accept the environment/surroundings
• Word recollections become difficult for them
• They become repetitive and ask the same questions and get into the task’s multiple times
• Short term memory loss, as they are having hard times in remembering the things, they performed a while back
• They struggle to perform the tasks that they had been performing for many years
• They tend to confuse very frequently with the people, names, places, sense of directions
• Lack of interest in their hobbies and activities that they used to enjoy
• They also have very frequent mood swings like depression, frustration, anger etc.
What Are The Types of Dementia?
• Alzheimer’s disease: It is the most common type of dementia disease. As per the study, 60% to 80% of people suffering from dementia has Alzheimer. These people have a problem in speaking and writing, have poor judgement, mood swings, being confused, tend to lose things and faces hard time to backtrack them.
• Vascular dementia: It is caused due to reduced blood flow in the brain, which occurs through plaque built up in the arteries.
• Mixed dementia: This type of dementia occurs due to a mix of 2 or more types. There are chances that a person may show the symptoms of both Alzheimer and Vascular dementia.
• Dementia with Lewy Bodies: It is a neurodegenerative condition in the brain structure where protein gets deposited into the nerve cells which prevents the brain from sending chemical signals to the body.
• Parkinson’s disease: In this type of dementia the person faces an issue with problems like reasoning and judgement. It also increases the irritability, paranoia and depression in the person.
• Huntington’s disease: In this type, a person has a specific type of uncontrolled movement along with the dementia
• Frontotemporal dementia: The symptoms of this disease includes difficulty with language and behavior.
How to Diagnose Dementia?
Dementia cannot be diagnosed with a single test, therefore your doctor or the specialist uses multiple methods for the same. These are:
• Through medical history
• Complete physical examination
• Laboratory and blood sample tests
• Family history
• Review of the symptoms like memory, behavior and brain function
Doctors can confirm the presence of the disease with the help of these tests. However, it is difficult to determine the exact type of dementia. In some cases, the doctor diagnoses dementia without specifying the type of it. If that happens then, the person should visit the specialist for dementia care in India.
Dementia Treatment and Care In India
Dementia’s treatment and care in India depends upon its type and what causes it. It cannot be cured, since it is a progressive disease but with proper treatment and care the speed of disease can put to a halt. There are two types of primary treatments for dementia, these are medications and non-drug therapies.
• Medications for Dementia
o It includes a chemical increase in the brain which is Acetylcholine. It helps in improving judgement and helps in forming the memories.
o Memantine is a drug that helps in delaying the behavioral symptoms in people with Alzheimer disease. It also allows for maintaining the normal functioning of the brain for a longer period of time.
• Non-Drug Therapies
o These therapies also help in reducing the symptoms of dementia. Common types of non-drug treatments include occupational therapy, modification of the environment and modification of the common tasks.
• Dementia Care In India
o Early diagnoses to promote early treatment
o Maintain the physical health, activity and well-being of the person
o Identify and cure the accompanying physical illness
o Detect and cure the behavioral and psychological symptoms
Prevention From Dementia
• Do not smoke
• Avoid alcohol consumption
• Maintain a healthy weight
• Get plenty of exercises
• Eat healthy foods
• Manage health problems including diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol
• Stay socially involved
NemaElder care home offers dementia care in India. Special care is provided to the people who are suffering from this disease under the dementia care in India program. NemaElder care homes are located in a secured environment, which is specially designed for dementia guests. The emotional well being of the patients is taken with the utmost care. The trained and skilled staff takes care of the residents of the NEMAElder care.
It is important for you to extend your care and support for your elderly parents. As both of these elements are the best treatment for someone with dementia.